Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Robin Reflections

On Memorial Day, May 28th, our neighborhood robin finished building her nest on top of a post in our backyard. I can't help but wonder if it was the same robin that built a nest in the same location last year.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the nest when it was work progress however, it was nearly finished before I first discovered it the day before.

I took a picture of the nest at 6:00am yesterday morning, May 29th:

She must have known that she was going to lay an egg soon because after I took this picture, I saw the robin perched on top of our house a singing a loud and happy song.  Yesterday evening, after I got home from work, I was thrilled to discover that she had laid a single turquoise egg:

Psalm 50:11 says, "I know every bird in the mountains ..."  I realize that there are no mountains anywhere near southeastern Iowa, however, that verse reminded me today that even though I may not know this backyard visitor, God does.  And perhaps, He even knows this robin's name.  Psalm 147:4 says, "He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name."  If God knows the names of the stars, it is not hard to imagine that He knows the names of the robins as well.  It also comforts me to reflect that if God knows the name of the robin that lives in my backyard, he surely knows my name.  According to Isaiah 43:1, we find out this is indeed the case, "But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, ... 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment