Thursday, May 31, 2012

Robin Reflections: Day 2

Yesterday, May 30th, I found the brave mother hunkered down in her nest.  Like a soldier on duty, our backyard robin performed sentry at her post, vigilantly on the watch for danger.

When she flew away, I was excited to discover two perfect, blue eggs.

I was reminded of the scripture from Psalms 61:4, "Let me dwell in your tent forever!  Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!  Selah".  I was thinking, how foolish it would be for the chicks to shout (from within the egg), "I am a self-made chick.  I have no need of you!"  Or even more absurd, "I can not see a mother robin, therefore it does not exist."

Perhaps Jesus felt the same frustration with the religious leaders and his people who rejected his message when He said, "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" Matthew 23:37


There is something comforting in trusting in Someone who is greater than ourselves.  When we don't know what the future holds, it comforts me to know the One who holds the future.  Today, those pre-hatched chicks can rest secure in knowing that a loving mother is watching over their well-being.  And I can be at peace knowing that I have an Almighty God who loves me with the fondness that ... well, that a robin has for her "children".  Perhaps King David said it best, "How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God!  Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings." Psalms 36:7

No comments:

Post a Comment